What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, February 09, 2014

The Weekend I Went to Eight Thrift Stores

Friday I announced that I was a) leaving the house and b) I would do NOTHING housewife-ish on my day out - no groceries, no bill paying, nothing grown up or sensible.  I was going thrifitng - I would hit as many thrifts as I could  - hit them hard and hit them fast.  And I did.  In the end, I only hit five (and one was actually closed, so really that's only four) BUT the last one I went to I cleaned UP and cleared the place OUT.  Okay not really, but I was there like an hour and a half and I bought a LOT.  

Put on your seat belt - here we goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......

First Stop: Potter's House:
I go here once a week, so I can usually spot new things pretty fast.  They have a color coded system so things revolve in price and out of circulation after five weeks.  
The cup and the dog were full price, the bridge tally was the final color of the rotation, so it was 25¢.  The cup is on ebay and the other two items will go to the booth.


Second Stop: Council for the Blind Thrift Store

This store has been in five locations that I can remember, but I hadn't been to this one before.  It was pretty big and prices were okay with the exception of the glass "collectibles" case being kind of pricey.

I found these three things.  The little duck was in the collectible case, but it was half price at $2.25, the vintage Beistle honeycomb was $1.75 and the Annalee mouse (Squeeee!) was $1.75.  I don't have an Annalee for Valentine's Day (the horrors!), so that was one happy find for me.  All three of these items are keepers for me.

Third almost stop: Hospital Auxiliary
It wasn't open.  Wah-wah.  This is one of my favorite thrifts.  I have been going there since I was a little girl. The ladies that run this thrift are very, very nice and very, very, very old.  Prices are still 65¢ (a drastic price increase from 50¢), items are washed, pressed and everything is counted out and made sure it works.  I hated that it wasn't open.   

Fourth Stop: Salvation Army:

This big frame was in the $1.00 bin, so I grabbed it.  Square frames are harder to find.  I think it is funny that thrifts sell what is IN the frame and don't really think about the frame itself.  It's easily a ten dollar frame at most thrifts.  I even salvaged a couple cool old buttons.

This nice wire shopping basket was $3.00.  I thought it would make a good display item.  For what? Who knows!

Fifth Stop: Samaritan House

This thrift is kind of pricey and I really never find much.  The main reason I go is that Reader's Digest Condensed books are 4/$1.00 and I am always looking for pretty covers and they give away the day old Panera bread to the customers.  Sometimes I spend 50¢ on two books and walk out with $8.00 of bread. They didn't have bread on Friday.  What they did have was better!  When I walked in, the clerk at the register said, "The whole store is half off today."  They do have sales like that every few months, but I always get a postcard about it.  I mentioned that I didn't get a postcard and she said, "Oh we just decided to have a half off sale today for no reason."  I still didn't have high hopes since it is kind of pricey.  But, when I started looking at things - stuff was priced super cheap.  I mean if it would have been $2.00, now it was priced 50¢ PLUS it was half off!  I quickly filled on one hand basket, then two, then three, then an armload of books to boot.  
This HUGE clump of alabaster grapes was one of my best finds.  They are on ebay already.

This big pitcher isn't my usual type - it's kind of frilly.  But, for the price, I knew I could put it in the booth.

A couple of tins - including a Titanic Fudge tin which is sort of weird (I assume it's from the Titanic Museum, but still...), a 1970's whale stapler, painted salad fork and spoon and a child's cup.  All for the booth.

A giant chocolate box (that I looked up and it cost over $100.00 full of chocolates!), a vintage roll of ribbon, a wee piece of pottery, an old Donut Shop mug and a book of Dennisons Gummed labels.  The labels are on ebay, the cup will be on ebay, the rest will go in my hoard.  

The labels are really, really kind of fantastic.  There are 419 of them in the book.  Super tempted to keep them and use them, but money talks......:D 

Some really good RD book covers including two of the seahorse cover, which is my favorite.  Eight books for $1.00.  

Are you bored yet?

No?  Ok, let's keep going...

A fun old mail and key holder, a pack of stencils, a pretty hand painted cup, an Ohio Art recipe box, four sweet little glass shakers, the top of a butter mold and a pink plastic flower pot holder.  

A big Whitman's Sampler tin and a granny square baby afghan.

Well, now.  This isn't my usual fare, is it?  Mary Moo-Moo's.  Collectible several years ago and not my style, but I do think they are kind of cute.  They will go to the booth.  This is just a small portion of what I bought - I think I got 27 pieces in all.  There's also a milk glass light cover back there if you can see it.

A set of four Weller Pottery individual casserole dishes with saucers.  I've never found Weller pottery, so this was a happy find.  I think I will put them on ebay.  I haven't really researched them yet.  That blue is just perfection.

I bought Pyrex!  SURPRISE!  I still don't collect Pyrex.  But, if you saw these bowls at the thrift for $1.00 each - well, you would buy them too, right?  They are already in the booth.

I paid less than $18.00 for everything I bought.  It was a fun, fun afternoon!

Saturday, Lara texted me that she was at the SCT and I had to think a long while on what that meant.  But, I bet all of you guys knew what it was!  I'd never seen it other than ME writing it.  The funny think is that I was almost ready to leave the house and go to the Super Cheap Thrift myself.  I ended up meeting her at the Flea Market and we went on a little thrifting trip with her twins. (Who I am in love with and want one or two of my own now).  When we would get out of the car, Lara would take Jack and Emme's hand and Emme would pull away and say "NO, I WANT TO HOLD SHAWA'S HAND!"  Which was pretty funny since they have never really been around me one on one before that moment.  It was nice having a tiny hand in mine again.  Oh yea, being with Lara was FUN too!!!!!!

We sent Grace Place first.  It's a small thrift and there are no prices on anything.  The sign at the register said, "Housewares 50¢ -$5.00  Price is up to cashier."  Well, alrighty.  
The first thing we, and by "we" I mean Lara, found was this vintage Christmas tablecloth.  She handed it to me and insisted I take it, and I don't know why I did - she should have bought it.  Then I found the big enamel platter in the kitchen-y area.  When we were waiting to pay, I spotted the Fisher Price Xylophone Bear out in the vestibule and grabbed it.  Still we had no idea what the prices were going to be.  When it was time to pay, the cashier was a teenager - maybe about fourteen or so?  It was weird.  She picked up the tablecloth and looked at it, looked at the platter, picked up the bear and put it all in a bag.  As she handed me the bag she said, "One dollar."  I handed her a dollar and we walked out without saying a word to each other.  We watched the twins pick out a toy when I finally started laughing about my price.  We couldn't believe I only paid $1.00 for those three great things.  We should have gone back in for a better look around, now that I think about it.  I think I paid 50¢ each for the platter and the tablecloth.  The toys were free - one per child.  I guess I am a child.  I did discover that the FP bear is from 2005 and not vintage.  It sure looks vintage.
Our last stop was a little Junk Store.
I bought a book about the Human Body for The Bean and this set of books on Memory Training from 1958.  I spent $1.00 total.  Lara got a good old School Reader, but that was it.  

It was nice to get out of the house, do fun things and buy good junk with good company.  There is more snow coming tomorrow.  Whoopity doo!

*If you actually read this whole thing - you get a gold star!

13 comments:

  1. I.Am.Green. Been stuck in the house over 3 days now due to snow and ice. I would be happy to get out to ONE thrift!!! Desperately seeking junk....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Gold star. I thrifted all weekend. Write up and photos are coming. No school today, so going to the booth to work, I went to the Council for the Blind thrift here yesterday. They've been having a lot of half off sles to try and entice people out into the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you did well! Lots of treasures. The labels are my favorite - and the seahorse RD book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOLD STAR - yippee!! (at least 'I' got something !! ...besides Snow & Cold...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen readers digest with such pretty covers. Are those really old? Can you elaborate on them a little more? I"m curious, plus I got a gold star!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where do I collect my gold star? First of all - "We just decided to have a half off sale today for no reason" - my kind of words! Second of all - did you lick the labels? I would totally have to taste them. Sounds like you got your thrifting fix. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gold star here too. Does that mean a golden ticket to some magical thrift store of my dreams? Still stuck in snowville here and ready to break out and find some goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. well now you have had your self some fun. I haven't thrifted much but I do have a few things to post later this week.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! I've done that for my birthday before--just gone and hit as many thrifts as I can before my eyes start to cross and all the junk looks the same. My favorites of your finds are the ducky planter, the Weller casseroles and the crown jewel is the book of Dennison labels! Hope the grapes sell for a bundle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get a gold star! So fun to see what you buy and sell. Love the Weller casseroles!! and Pyrex for $1 each is a great find. Love so many of the little things (that little duck pottery piece I love) and it's so fun to shop with a friend. Great weekend I would say!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a serious haul! First of all, I don't even know of 8 thrift shops close to me...OK, I have 5, but 3 of those are crummy GW's. Looks like your booths will be well stocked!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great finds
    Sounds like you had a fabulous time. Thrifting is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  13. We need to add that thrift shop to our weekly rounds and hit it when we go out to the flea market, don't you think? You deserved the Christmas tablecloth because you helped me take care of my two stinkers, is what!

    I don't get how you found all that old stuff at the Samaritan shop. I hit it fairly regularly, maybe two or three times a month, and I have NEVER found that much old stuff at one time, much less in the midst of a half-price sale. Those casseroles are so cool. When you research them, let us know how much they are because I'm dying to know!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers