What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Week In Review (with Donuts)

I keep waiting for something VERY EXCITING TO HAPPEN so I have something interesting to write about. But, IT NEVER HAPPENS.  So, here's my phone dump and what I've been up to in the past week.  
We had Valentine's Day, of course.  I received pink carnations, which are my very, very, very favorite flowers in the whole wide world.  The Breadman just figured that out last year.  He thought it was sweet to bring me three roses.  Why three?  I don't know.  The only other person I kind of sort of "dated" (air quotes are perfectly acceptable in this case) would always bring me one rose.  So, roses are kind of "ick" in my book.  ANYWAY.  You can see in this photo the pink Carnations, my hot pink "Christmas" Cactus and my Poinsettia that is still thriving.  Thank goodness all those wild colors work in with Valentine's Day.  

I always set our coffee table up for the day of the holiday with all our cards and gifts to each other.  Lots of PINK on this table which made me happy, happy, happy.  *Ignore the photo bombing cat!

We found ourselves in the vicinity of a Krispy Kreme.
(It's about a fifty mile round trip)

So we succumbed to it's deliciousness.  

I went to a new to me thrift store and spotted all these tiny shoes lined up.  
Red?  Black?  They got you covered.
 They also had this giant frame with all these clipboards mounted in it. I have been hoarding old clipboards and painting them with chalkboard paint.  Now I just need a HUGE frame.  I think this would be great with flash cards or kids artwork in it.  

I bought this giant funeral basket.  Now, I have this weird thing about funerals and death - I KNOW no one likes those things - but I am really skeeved out about it.  I stood in front of this thing for about fifteen minutes before I finally decided to buy it.  I'd never seen one for sale and I know that it will sell, but I just didn't really want it in my possession.  I finally decided to buy it, but I haven't brought it in my house yet.  It's been banished to the front porch until I decide what to do with it -  paint it or just clean it up.  


I also bought all this vintage Dennison Crepe Paper.  I wish it was prettier colors, but it is mostly white, beige, brown, burgundy and pink.  Seventeen packages in all.  I never see it, so I had to pick it up. 

We started rooting celery from the ends of celery we bought at the store.  Who knew you could do this? Not me, that's who.  It grows at almost an alarming rate.  My Mom asked me if we were going to eat it and I said, "It would be like eating my pet!"  I think I might not be the ideal person to raise my own vegetables. At least not in the house, anyway.

We went to Sam's and ran into J*m B*b D*ggar, some of his boys and some of the Bates boys too.  Nearly every time I go to Sam's, we see one two or ten of them in there.  

I saw this at Walmart.  

The boys helped pus this poor guys up out of the street today when his car died.  I pulled up and said, "Go help him!"  I forgot that The Breadman is sick, but he did it anyway.  I'd like to think that if the shoe were on the other foot, someone would stop to help us.
And tonight, we turned on our porch light in honor of Hailey Owens in Springfield, MO.  
There are no words.

Things like that make me thankful that there hasn't been anything happening in our lives other than Krispy Kreme and celery growing.  I hope life at your house is calm.


5 comments:

  1. I enjoy your random catchup posts! Fun stuff (well except for Hailey, that is sad beyond words).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happened to that precious little girl is horrific. As a mother myself, it just brings home the fear we all have for our children. It never goes away, even when they are grown.
    Nice of your husband and son to help the man with car trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is that Bad Byron's Butt Rub? If so I went out of my way a few Christmas's ago to get this for the guys in our family. It was a huge hit!. My sis ended up being the one to use it and she seasoned EVERYTHING with it. So sad about Hailey :( Working with children, this kind of thing hits me real close :(:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know you could grow potato vines from sweet potatoes? At least that is what Pinterest says, and the big P never lies :) At least you could plant those outside when it warms up.

    I can't believe that guy worked at a school. So sad. So many nutso people out there in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to try that celery thing. Pet vegetables - perfect.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers