What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Rest of the Stuff

In addition to the ironing board I wrote about yesterday, I picked up a few more things.  Some to sell, some to keep.  Just the right mix.

I bought this giant clothespin at the Super Cheap Thrift for 75¢.  When the ladies at the counter saw it, they told me that they had all looked at it, but on one could think of a use for it.  I said, "Well, you could use it to hold a recipe, hang it on the wall to hold a note or a sign or a poster or a jacket or an apron, you could put a vintage postcard in it, you could hang it by the door to put you outgoing mail on, you could use it as a paperweight......" and I kept on going.  As I mentioned each thing, each of their eyes got big, like "Why didn't I think of that?"

Little did they know that I already had two others at home.  Three, that is the magic number that creates a collection.  You can see how big they are with the bunny in front.  

Speaking of him.  He is a Stone Critter.  I don't know if they still make and/or sell Stone Critters, but I remember going to the Mall and seeing them in glass cases at the fancy gift stores years ago.  So, now whenever I see a Stone Critter bunny at a thrift or yard sale, I pick them up since I remember how expensive they were once upon a time.  

Here is another item that I bought for that very same reason.  A Snowbaby.  The high end stores at the mall had Snowbabies on display and they were very expensive too.  When I spotted this one for 40¢, I grabbed it.  He will go to the booth later in the year.  

I bought this giant Starbucks cup for pretty much that same reason.  I bet it cost $15.00 or more originally.  I paid 25¢ for it.  I will list it on ebay and if doesn't sell, it will go to the booth.  Or it might become my new cup - it is HUGE.  

This German Goebel Stein will go on ebay.  She's a portly lady.

This Lori C. Mitchell Santa is wonderful.  The tip of his hat is broken off, which probably means he won't sell for much as he ordinarily would.  I wasn't familiar with these figures until I bought several Bride and Grooms this past Fall.  
I don't think I ever showed them on here.  They aren't my usual vintage style, but I still think they are adorable.  They are on ebay this week.

A Bunnykins Dish and two handled mug.  I love Bunnykins stuff, but more than that, I love how well it sells.  So, to ebay it will go!
A donkey toothpick holder.  To the booth it will go.

A wee little pitcher with bluebirds on it.  To the booth...

And for ME!
A brand new unused set of Bride Bingo.  I am not a Bride, but I love these old Bingo sets.  The handle is a child's parasol that has seen better days.  But, that handle spoke to my heart - "Take me to your house!" it said.  *Really, it did!*

The parasol has some tears, but it is still sweet with those handpainted birds.  We watch "How's It Made" on they showed how these are made.  Most items are made in a factory, but these are made by a couple ladies sitting by a fire and it takes many, many steps and a lot of time to hand make each one of these parasols.  Not to mention they are hand painted afterwards.  It's just too sweet.

A giant honeycomb heart for my Valentine's display.  It had no price, so "you just take that honey" they told me.  :)

The first Post Secret book.  I have a collection of books from my favorite blogs - Pioneer Woman, Stuff on my Cat, Cakewrecks (of course!), NieNie Dialogues, and a few others.  Just waiting to put my book in there someday.  :)

The most adorable baby outfit EVER.  First, it's PINK.  Then it's GINGHAM.  Then there's the RUFFLED BUM.  I mean, seriously - it is adorable.  

 And lastly, a new old basket.  
But, this one is special.  I tiny vintage handmade basket.  I adore miniature baskets.  

But, they must be handmade.  And this one is.  See the nail hole where the base was attached to a piece of wood while it was being made into a basket?

And the tiny nails that attach the bottom to the basket?  It's handmade for sure.  

Another example of pride of craftsmanship and handcrafting something.  It;s just the right size to hold my iphone cord.  I'm sure that'w why someone made it  50-70years ago.  Or not.


7 comments:

  1. With giant clothespins and giant Starbucks cups, it almost looks like one of my thrifting gigs at the start, but it soon turned into a Shara trip. :-) It probably won't surprise you to know that Snowbabies are on my list of creepy things that are creepy. They look like little mutant snow creatures to me. And does this mean you'll buy my book whenever i get around to writing it?? (After it makes it to the thrifts, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am drinking my coffee out of that exact same mug as we speak! A few years ago, I sold all of my Starbucks mugs except for this one and a red one exactly like it. They are HUGE but the perfect size for me. I like lots of coffee. You should keep it! BTW...I'm sure you are aware of this but it is our boyfriends birthday today. :-)

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all great finds, but I especially love the adorable parasol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it all! Oh my the clothes pins are awesome, I saw one at an Estate Sale but they had way too much on it for me. I want cheap! I love stone critters and have several that belonged to my daughter who collected rabbits back in her childhood. I guess they are still in the Easter stuff, I'll have to check. That Santa is pretty great, where are you selling it?
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing score!! I am SO in need of a good junk fix. I adore that bride and groom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great treasures you found, and I love, love, love the bluebird pitcher! And a comment on the previous post - I love your blog and I ready every post, they never fail to make me smile. And the posts you write about "nothing" are as much fun as the ones about "something". :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. POST SECRET book - Nice! Do you have MARY RANDOLPH CARTER's JUNK books in your collection? She was one of the first 'JUNK' blogs that I read ;-)
    Is the Starbucks mug a sign that Seattle is going to win today (that is where they originated!!)
    FUN stuff as always! (And I am picturing Miss Hazel propped up with that sweet parasol!)

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers